Sunday, July 31, 2016

Weird Science


This Tuesday marks four weeks of my Paleo/LCHF/Keto "diet".  I'm going to fondly refer to it heretofore as my Primal Instinct Lifestyle of Eating. Or PILE.

Here's whats happened so far.

I've lost about 7 pounds.  1.5 inches around my waist and 1 inch around my hips.  1 inch around my thigh- gone!

Two weeks ago, I was subjected to a workout with my running coach on a high school track.  She had us doing ladders.  Last week, on Monday, we did 15x200m at better than 5k pace.  In the past, workouts like these KILLED me.  Usually, somewhere in the middle, my muscles ache and my brain rebels and my body backs off.  I was surprised when, in the middle of the first workout I mentioned, I did a whole-body mental check and realized I was fine.  I was better than fine, in fact.  I was hot, because LOUISIANAINJULY=HELL but really, my legs had plenty left.  My chest heaved with the effort I was putting forth but I could feel energy circulating in my body and propelling me forward.

 The second workout- 15 reps- I honestly felt like I was getting slower with each rep.  Every time I finished one, I half expected to feel the protest from my body I've felt before.  That feeling that one more step, one more rep will be too much.  It never came.  And I impressed myself when I examined my Garmin and found that all of my reps were similar- every 200 was run in around 50 seconds.  For those of you who don't know, 200 meters is half the track.  One full lap is a quarter mile.  So 15 sets of 50-second 200s amounts to about 1.9 miles ran at about a 7:30 pace.  Which may be just another day at the track for some athletes, but that's really good for me.  My rest laps did get longer, but GOOD LAWD, it was hot out there.

So what does this have to do with PILE?

I've been doing the research, and reading all the pros and cons of being a meat-and-fat eater.

I really have come to realize that I can't subscribe to any one notion on what works and what doesn't except for that our bodies and metabolisms and propensity for change are all VASTLY DIFFERENT.  You're a vegan athlete?  Awesome.  You want to build a macro plan that fits your goals? Cool.  You want to drink your nutrition and workout to videos? Fantastic.  You're built to burn fat and you're possibly allergic to carbs... well, okay!

If I have learned anything the last three weeks it is that I have always done a pretty good job of being in touch with my body and what it's telling me.  What I have not been good at is giving it what it is asking for.  In the last three weeks, I have had some times of tiredness and fatigue- remarkably noted only after nights that I drank wine.  Supposed to not be a big deal on PILE to have some red vino, but I did notice a difference.  Does that mean I'll quit indulging?  Hell to the no.  I'm happy to understand how it affects me.  On days I kept a 75% or more fat with 20% protein and 5% or less of carbs mix, I have felt more awake, focused and capable than ever.

I realize the body needs carbs to function in some capacity for endurance activity. The benefit I can see for what I have done the last few weeks is that I can incorporate good quality carbs when I actually will need them. But the body doesn't need sugar in its most diabolical forms- sports drinks and preservatives and complicated breads.

I keep going back to McDougal's account of the Cretan adventures where mere mortals lived off of only the things available around them from farm animals and game and fish.  They were healthy, agile and capable of great feats of endurance.  Knowing what I know now about how my body doesn't like me at all if I deprive it of meat, that I have a natural aversion to vegetables and a natural love of all things fatty and nutty, I have to surmise that maybe a person's ancestry and where they come from has a large part to play in what kind of diet will work for them.  I think it goes beyond the three body types and is really linked to who we are, primally.  I'm not a scientist, or a dietician, or elite athlete.  But I think I'm on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment